You will need the most recent version of quicktime to see this virtual tour. Click here to download.
The House of Hope Presbyterian Church has stood on the corner of Summit Avenue and Avon Street in St. Paul for nearly one hundred years. The building was dedicated on October 14, 1914, and was the result of the merger of the First Presbyterian Church and House of Hope Presbyterian Church.
The Boston architectural firm of Cram, Goodhue & Ferguson was commissioned in 1912 to prepare preliminary architectural sketches and cost estimates for the church. Ralph Adams Cram was the leading American exponent of Gothic Revival architecture, and church architecture was his firm's specialty.
Ground was broken and construction begun in the winter of 1912 by the George J. Grant Construction Company of St. Paul. The cornerstone was laid in June of 1913, and by the end of that year, the stonework and roof were complete, and the building was enclosed and heated, with interior work continuing through the winter.
The Edward Duffield Neill Christian education wing to the east of the main building was completed in 1959.
The history of the building is more completely documented in "A Journey of Hope: The House of Hope Presbyterian Church 1849-1999" by David W. Johnson, which is available for sale at the church office.