Children and Family Ministries
The Holy Spirit is alive and well at House of Hope, fostering deep connections with God and one another, as well as generating an attitude of excitement and curiosity for our youngsters.
The Children and Family Committee and small focus groups have been developing and implementing plans to best serve and connect our children, youth and families with God and the community. This program year, we are providing a solid base for the faith formation of children and families, one that will allow for spiritual growth, depth and transformation within the House of Hope culture of social justice and artistic expression.
PALM SUNDAY FOR CHILDREN
Palm Procession: All Sunday School children ages 3-4th grade are invited to participate in the traditional palm procession. We will gather in the Godly Play classrooms to get palms and line up at 9:40 a.m.
Remember to return your FISH BOXES! We will collect fish boxes on Palm Sunday for our One Great Hour of Sharing offering. Godly Play and Sunday Studio will take place as normal following the Time for Children. Tweens are invited to remain in the sanctuary for worship.
EASTER SUNDAY FOR CHILDREN
There will be 2 services on Easter morning. For the 9 am service, we will have a special Easter activity for children
ages 3- 3rd grade. They will leave after the Time for Children. Children in 4th grade and up will remain in the service and leave after the sermon to help hide eggs for the Easter Egg Hunt. There will not be a children’s activity for the 11 am service. All children will remain in worship after the Time for Children.
Easter Egg Hunt for children ages 3-3rd grade will take place at the House of Hope playground following the 9 am service. Parents are asked to pick up their children from Room 5 and walk them out to the playground.
2017 Summer Programs at the House of Hope: Information and Registration
Family Camp at Clearwater: June 9-11
This will be an event exclusively for House of Hope families and will be led by HoH staff. It will include family and age-specific programming, as well as unstructured time to enjoy each other's fellowship and the great outdoors. Check out the Clearwater Forest website for more information about the destination and to see what other programs they offer. http://clearwaterforest.org/ To sign up, email Jill Winter at firstname.lastname@example.org
Summer Camp in the City: June 26-30
This camp is from 9 am -3 pm at the House of Hope for children who have completed K-5th grade. It is staffed by Clearwater Forest employees and is $50 per child. There is an extended day option until 5 pm for an additional $45. Click here to register.
Mardi Gras Celebration - March, 2017
Wednesday Morning Sacred Arts School Click here for further information.
What to expect on a Sunday morning:
We don’t underestimate the amount of energy and effort it takes for a family to arrive at church on a Sunday morning. Please know that you are loved and held in gracious hands. The following provides logistical information to help ease some anxiety.
Infants and toddlers are always welcome to stay in worship with their families. However, we do provide a space where our littlest ones can be cared for while engaging in early childhood faith formation. Please feel free to check-in your child starting at 9:30am in the following rooms:
· Room 8: 0-18 months
· Room 2: 18 months to 3 years
· Room 4: Ages 3, 4 and any child whose guardian(s) feels s/he is unable to be in worship through Time for Children but who are ready for more structure via Godly Play.
Children, Pre-K through 4th Grade are invited to begin in the worship service at 10:00 a.m. with their families – worship bags and art supplies are available in the Narthex at the back of the church. Following a special Time for Children, the children exit the sanctuary by processing down the center aisle. In the narthex of the church, kids will accompany their classmates and adult volunteers down the hallway to the education wing (adults will have signs to hold up for kids to follow). Children can be picked up on the following locations at 11:15am.
· Godly Play – This curriculum and classroom experience for Pre-K through 2nd Grade serves as a continuation of worship for our children. Children are invited to enter into God’s Story contained in the Hebrew Bible and New Testament. Godly Play helps engage the child where s/he is and helps develop a language around the mystery and history of our faith, our lives, and our existential limits.
o Room 7 – Pre-K and Kindergarten
o Room 5 – Grades 1st and 2nd
· Sunday Studio – This curriculum and classroom experience for 3rd and 4th Graders continues as a continuation of worship, but with a twist on entering into God’s Story. Teachers will be combining Dwell Marvel Curriculum with some Godly Play elements to invite our 3rd and 4th graders to make visual and digital renditions of various stories of the Bible.
o Room 11, Art Room and Room 12, Filming Room (2nd floor)
· Transitioning Tweens – Our 5th and 6th Graders are invited to stay in the worship service until after the sermon, exiting with special volunteers to Room 17 (2nd floor) to discuss the sermon and worship elements. This approach to our faith formation helps to transition a child from the “Sunday School Experience” and into a deeper experience and understanding of corporate worship and the church as a larger community.
Ways to Be Involved
· Register your child for programming: online or in paper form found in Room 6 on Sundays
· Serve as a Godly Play Storyteller or Greeter (and/or refer us to someone to hire – www.hohchurch.org/career)
· Volunteer to escort our children from the Sanctuary to the Education Wing
· Use your artistic inclinations to help with the Children’s Art Show scheduled for December
We believe faith formation occurs both within and beyond these church walls. Jeff Foels, Associate Pastor, would happily resource any parents who are looking for such opportunities! This website is a great resource for families looking to develop the faith lives of children at home: http://faithformationjourneys.org/.
For more information please contact Jeff Foels at (651) 223-7545 or email@example.com.